Storefront December 2013 - March 2014
|In the midst of the lively hustle and bustle of the Utrecht Voorstraat, Casco Storefront offers a variety of usual and unusual things, including but not limited to a highly skilled translation service, a special piece of furniture designed by an international artist, but also books, tips and unusual experiences.
Since April 2013, the Storefront has seen various projects and products on offer, from a translation service and photographs of all the shop windows in Voorstraat, to a play bench, space for thought and rest, self brewed beer, home made soap and locally made bread by artist Christian Nyampeta.
From December 2013 to March 2014, the Storefront offers a new "wealth" of things and actions. With 'The Wealth of the Voorstraat', a research project by an interdisciplinary group of students from the Utrecht art academy HKU, commissioned by Casco and (Un)usual Business, we explore the many "community economies" that exist within the Voorstraat.
At the Storefront, this materializes as a 3 dimensional map of the Voorstraat, a communal notice board, a 'give and take away' booth, a reading corner and meeting space. Like the past few months, you will also still find all kind of "free" stuff and things to be exchanged for something other than money. For everything else, prices are negotiable. Any profit from the shop is put toward (Un)usual Business and Casco activities. We value good relations with our customers and offer potential consignments for products, services or skills you bring to the shop.
Storefront Assortment December 2013 - March 2014:
Products and "things" with their own "community economies" transactions attached. By HKU students, in the framework of 'The Wealth of the Voorstraat'.
* Silk screen print by Isabelle Tzaraf, in exchange for a gift certificate
* Post cards by Rosa Immers, with the "order" to seasonally make someone happy with a card
* Personal illustration or necklace by Penelope Groenen, in exchange for website programming support
* Vintage interior design by Marielle van der Paauw, in exchange for website programming support/money
* Formal study of a rocking bed and two booklets on colour and movement by Merel Schotten, in exchange for photographs of movement and colour
* Wallet by Dorien Bolhuis, in exchange for another wallet
* Interior products made from rest materials by Ricky Langeveld, in exchange for groceries
* Sweater for men (size M) by Eva Pool
Still on offer:
* Play bench by artist Christian Nyampeta
* Homemade beer and soap (from the project 'How to Live Together' by Christian Nyampeta, in collaboration with van de Streek bier and Werfzeep)
* Translation service from English to Dutch and vice versa
* Casco books
* Casco library corner to read and stay
* Coffee and tea
* Meeting and study space
Although each product comes with a specific type of transaction, negotiations and propositions are welcomed!
Casco Storefront is the working research platform of (Un)usual Business, a longterm collaboration with Kritische Studenten Utrecht that explores so-called "community economies". For more info please visit the (Un)usual Business website here (currently under construction).
Please note that both Casco's office and Storefront are closed for the holidays, from 21 December 2013 till 5 January 2014. We welcome you back on Tuesday 7 January. Happy holidays!
18 Dec 2013-19 Feb 2014